Thursday, January 17, 2008

kid-wrangling

It seems every large airport in the world merges into one endless airport, broken by flights - at some point in the morning, I looked down at Atlanta's tile floor and realized it was the same colors as Anchorage's. On the other hand, the accents change - it's hard for me to understand gate calls mangled by the PA when they're spoken in Southern.

I met some great people along the way - a nice Canadian girl on her first flight, who was extremely excited under her mom's tolerant eye to question "a real pilot" about what all the lights on the airport meant. And in Atlanta, there was a very nice Air Force man crashed on the bench across from me. I assured him there were two hours to Valdosta boarding - and two hours later, when I was crashed out hard, he woke me up so I made the flight.

Monday was lost to sleeping, and Tuesday has a large chunk in the middle missing to sleep. Wednesday I stayed awake, and got one errand done. Around the large portions of sleep was a lot of kid-wrangling. One niece is a little over a year old (and sick), one is barely 3, and though both are great girls, I'm not that kid-friendly a person. Their mother can clearly walk me into the ground, and has reserves of energy I can only marvel at - the sheer number of times a day she gets up and down off the floor and lifts sixty pounds of kids shows she is clearly the stronger, better, and more patient woman!

Now that I'm functional, all that remains is having weather good enough to go flying, and someone who knows the airplane to go flying with me. Given its owner is TDY most of the country away, this leaves his buddy D, who is on a crazy schedule. Today I'm going to start working on getting a CFI to come to me, so I don't have to arrange for D to have enough time off to fly down with me.

One week nearly down, three to go. Will get in the air soon!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I enjoy your stories! I too am from Anchorage, and was just cruising blogs this morning before work. I dreamt of being a pilot when I was younger but have since figured out that my -Ahem!- system doesn't appreciate elevation changes, to say the least.

    Keep up with your blog! The world needs good adventures to hear! Esspecially from our great state!

    If you'd like, I can add you to my my blog's side links so visitors to mine may come and visit you too. Let me know if you'd like me to do that!

    Take care, and safe flying!

    Joanna Dickson

    ReplyDelete