Sunday, October 2, 2011

Home Again, with a good book!

The last couple weeks, I haven't had time or energy to think after work - so I saved a book I've been wanting to read until the time to kill between the layovers and flights on the way home.

If you haven't gotten Mike Williamson's Rogue yet, I highly recommend you pick it up. It's a book with more layers than a fabulous mixed drink - in plot, it's a chase and an action novel across four planets, with tensions and explosions, hair-raising and stand-up-and-cheer moments. It's also a very thoughtful, emotionally wrenching look into the minds and hearts of people who've been there, done that, don't want to talk about it, and don't know how to find their way back. Woven into this is a satire on the strengths and weaknesses of different cultures, and plenty of humor. If nothing else, you've got to see how he finally settles the game of Clue!

The only bad part? I finished it before I ran out of layovers and flights!

Off to do shopping, because a couple weeks away is enough time for men to reduce the well-stocked fridge to a few inedible leftovers and condiments...

4 comments:

  1. Sorry you ran out of book along the way, but thank you for the recommendation.

    And welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It's a book with more layers than a fabulous mixed drink - in plot, it's a chase and an action novel across four planets, with tensions and explosions, hair-raising and stand-up-and-cheer moments"

    But my tired brain read the word "Rogue" in the title and thought it was the new gossipy book about Sarah Palin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I saw this on the shelf in the bookstore today and I turned to J to ask "isn't that by that guy who knows Dot?", but she was still poking about in the history section...so I just mumbled it to myself. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the same thing Brigid did... Mike IS a good writer and getting better with every book!

    ReplyDelete