Friday, November 18, 2011

Useful and beautiful

When I lived in Alaska, I had the great fortune to have a friend and former roommate who was not more talented mechanically as me, but also a genius at working in textiles. I can rib-stitch an airplane's wing together, but Jeannie - Jeannie can raise both eyebrows, make awesome Irish coffee for three, ponder, grin mischievously, check with a measuring tape, and turn some leftover fabric from making a beanbag chair into an awesome urban fantasy fairy outfit that will hold up to years of clubbing and parties... in time to go from "Hey, I guess I actually do have tomorrow off work, but I don't have anything to wear" to rocking the Halloween party.

She made the bridesmaid dresses for her own wedding, and it's one of the few dresses I keep as standby for future formal occasions. While I express my dreams in AN hardware fittings, she can turn a pair of jeans with a hole ripped in an unfortunate place into my prettiest pair of jeans I've ever owned with a butterfly embroidered on my behind (and a heavy-duty cloth patch inside, to protect against further countersunk screws.)

Now, you too can see what random projects come from her creative mind and hands - ok, the fabric ones at least, not the moose-proof garden fencing with the beautiful minimalist wooden frame, the shipboard-inspired doghouse, or the awesomely painted Warhammer miniatures, but you never know what she'll come up with or show you next.

So check it out! bonifacethreads.blogspot.com

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the lovely compliments, sweetie! (I'm glad you still like your jeans!)

    Maybe I'll have to start a separate part of the sewing blog as a general 'creativity expo'.

    Give your other half a hug for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Internet explorer wouldn't let me comment on her site as Brigid (it does that, where firefox won't). That's beautiful stuff.

    My daughter makes dresses for she and her daughter without patterns. I feel beyond inept when I see the talent that goes into creations with fabric. Well done Jeannie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY nice! She is definitely talented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's very creative and talented. Anyway, I had a great time reading your post. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete