Saturday, August 23, 2014

Stuff!

"Junk is stuff you throw away, and stuff is junk you keep."

I've now given away about 70% of the glasses, mugs, and silverware I owned, as well as at least half the plates and bowls. The three partial sets of measuring cups have been replaced with one matched set, the chipped bakeware all tossed, all but two of baking pans and why do we have 5 pie tins, mixing bowls down to half what they were, bread pans all but gone, pots and saucepans thinned...

And you know, it hasn't actually affected the schedule for washing dishes? It does mean there's a lot less clutter taking over the sink and counters, though, before the dishes are done. Some days, everything even gets scrubbed and stuck in the dishwasher, awaiting a full load, and the counter and sink stay clean, clear, and dirty-dishwater-stink free.

So that's the bright side.

On the other paw, the last two pickup-loads we've moved have been sharply capped by "drop everything and run, the rain's started falling." At least it's the cookbooks that got wet, not the military history books. Cookbooks with watermarks and stains are just... books probably have good recipes. (Hint for used cookbook buying: hold the book pages-up, spine flat in the center of your palm, and let the covers fall from vertical to horizontal. Where the pages break open and lie flat is going to be a recipe that was used a lot, and will be one of the ones that make the book worth having.)

And on the gripping paw, if I could just be self-aware enough to instantly figure out the difference between "I'm bored because you are determined you have to do everything yourself and will snap at me if I pick up a single item you're not ready for me to carry to the truck. Clearly, you're doing it all wrong." and "I am having a massive, epic-level allergic reaction to the dust in this room, and am not so busy bearing dusty items back and forth that my mind is taken off the fact my skin is swelling and itching, eyes burning, sinuses hurting, and temper flaring.", domestic tranquility would be a lot more tranquil.

The "We will stop meth labs by making it bloody hard for everybody to get the allergy medicines that work!" laws SUCK DEAD RAT THROUGH A STRAW. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the lawmakers and lobbyists who crafted and passed them, and swarms of bedbugs by night and chiggers by day cover the journalists who praised them! No, you bloody pharmacy tech, I don't have puffy red eyes because I want a meth fix, I have puffy red eyes and swollen hands because I need the bloody antihistamines I'm trying to buy! Sod off and just hand me the damnable pills!

Sigh.

5 comments:

  1. You simply must learn to express yourself, Wing. :)

    And speaking of things that suck, there's moving ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch... and agree, they NEED to be infested, and then have to sign their lives away to get a prescription!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I understand...are you saying there's an allergy problem?

    Glad to see the move is going, even if it sounds like it's not a lot of fun. Probably going through that pain train ourselves soon.

    On a wholly unrelated note, there will probably be a lot of traffic headed your way. I gave several of your posts to a local librarian who just ran an author's workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allergy meds . . . You know things have gone way, way too far when you are in a college town and staff and faculty members have to ask students with in-state drivers' licenses and no allergies to buy [favorite brand] for them. And no, not even having a copy of your visa and proof of residency is enough if you have an out-of-state license. Not that I ever assisted anyone in this manner. I just heard stories about people at another college in a different state who did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someone on the web noted that meth is STILL widely available, and that it is relatively easy to convert it into pseudoephedrine. Hmm, I wonder if there is a u-tube self-help video on the subject?

    ReplyDelete