Saturday, December 20, 2014

Adventures in food you can't read

I popped into the Romanian import store to get a treat for my husband while he's sleeping, and found a can I didn't recognize mixed in with the pate selection. Intrigued, I flipped it over and noted it was marked $2,54 on the bottom - so whatever it was, it'd be a relatively lighthearted, cheap adventure.

The store owner perked up as she bagged my pate tins, and waved it at me. "You'll like this! Is wonderful!" I grinned, and we giggled over the joys of surprising people we love with food. She understands that Food Is Love, after all.

When I got home, I cracked open the mystery can to try it, and was surprised by little headless fish in oil. Squinting and bringing the can up to bright light, I found the 4-point english font required for import among the Cyrillic: "Smoked sprats in oil."

Shrugging, I decided to try some with cheese. And that's when my shins were tackled by twelve pounds of all-consuming hunger in cat form.

I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU GIVE ME ALL THE FISH NOW I LOVE YOU GIVE IT TO MEEEEEEEEEE!!!

By the way, they're tasty with a nice sharp cheese. Just lock up the cats before you crack the can, lest you have to excavate cat claws from your thigh.

5 comments:

  1. Never had any sprats, so I ordered some from Amazon. Saw a suggestion that they are good in mashed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our daughters' cats go bats**t crazy when my wife starts skinning salmon. That's one of many reasons why we had their front claws removed when they were still young. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is hilarious... and you 'should' have known better... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah. A.T. Cat can hear a t-u-n-a can in the next county. You set the tin on the counter and lo, the world's-fluffist-starving-to-death cat appears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dad and my brother used to eat Sardine sandwiches when we were at the coast. I had to leave the room so I wouldn't gag. But I understand the siren call because everyone else in my family but me has it.

    Merry Christmas to you and Peter!

    ReplyDelete