Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Spring Garden Prep

The good news: a rainy Monday is a great time to go to the local garden store, as there are very few people there. Abundant parking, staff easily located and helpful, no lines! No elderly ladies who are eyeing you with the clear intention of running you over, shooting you or stabbing you if you touch those begonias they're eyeing...

The bad news: the serious gardeners have already been there, and stripped the place like very choosy locusts. No basil? No peppermint? Seriously, no eggplant? No dill, parsley, cilantro, or sage?

...but there was bronze fennel left?

Yeah, I don't pretend to understand that, I just grabbed the bronze fennel, thyme, and oregano, and supplies. 

Even better news: the choosy herb locusts forgot about the farm & fleet store, and not only were they well-stocked with everything else I wanted, but they had a sale on terracotta planters.

Now to pick a day I did not do squats and overhead press to plant the rest of the herbs. Tomorrow sounds good. Think I'll water everything generously, and then go get a cuppa for myself.

6 comments:

  1. hurrah to everything else you wanted

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started ordering seeds mid January and could only shop at my usual supplier on line two days a week since I’m a home gardener. They were already out of a quarter of what I wanted! Did manage to find most items on Amazon a packet here and a packet there from multiple sources. By the way Stokes no longer supplies home gardeners in the US at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Supply chain kinks manifest in the oddest of ways... but I think there may be more people gardening than usual, too. The veggies were nearly annihilated, even though the flowers were merely decimated.

      Delete
  3. Yay! And yes, farm stores DO dent to get forgotten by the crones as they search for the 'perfect' herbs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their loss, my gain! In a fit of wild optimism, I have 4 bronze fennel and 3 dill plants. This year, I hope to have my swallowtail butterfly caterpillars and my herbs for dinner, too!

      Delete