Friday, July 2, 2010

Heh.

There's a weed in the backyard with serious taproots that the friends I'm staying with have been trying to dig out and eradicate. Yesterday as She Who Rocks and I were planting the slightly sunburned bleeding heart in the front yard, He Who Rocks On was in the backyard with the shovel, getting the weeds and the rotten tree roots he came across dug out of the ground.

SWR mentioned regretfully as we carried the weeds to the compost pile that it was too bad these weren't edible, but the online forum so questioned had tagged them as the incredibly useless Canada Thistle. That didn't seem right to me, because the immature flowers were completely wrong for a 'thistle' of any stripe. So I started digging, and digging, and came up with a positive ID - Curly Dock. Which is indeed edible.

On the other hand, I have no urge to cook it right now - I'm not that fond of dark bitter greens like kale and collard greens. Besides, given the ongoing eradication effort is not getting all the taproot, if I wait a week or two, I'll have plenty of fresh young leaves to pull and use - and revenge against these plants is a dish best served hot with a delicious vinegar-based sauce, and a pulled pork entree.

No comments:

Post a Comment